Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Evolution of Childhood Cartoons

Every generation can say that cartoons are not the same. When I was younger, I loved the Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Doug, Dexter's Laboratory, PowerPuff Girls, Lambchop, etc. The cartoons now are not the same at all, its like they have a whole new structure. My step- son is 3, and he loves shows like Ni Hao, Kai-Lan, Team Umizoomi, Yo Gabba Gabba, and Go Diego Go. Sometimes he insists that I sit and watch cartoons with him, and while watching, I can not help but think, did my parents feel like this when I made them watch Barney with me. It's amazing how that childhood innocence just magically disappears one day. And it seems that with every generation, there is a new genre of cartoons. Tom & Jerry has a completely different set up than Jimmy Neutron. The ways of targeting to children has evolved. I agree, some cartoons have added more of learning based themes, but i think that there is nothing like the classics (my classics anyway). I guess as the world changes, everything has to adjust. I just wish some things could stay the same.

PS. There is one thing me and my 3 yr old step- son can agree on, Bob Bob (SpongeBob Squarepants. -AP

3 comments:

  1. Hey Alex,

    It's crazy to think that cartoons are almost a reflection of society! Notice how they would have transformers and GI Joe cartoons for kids growing up in the Reagen Era? It's interesting to see how shows now are more liberal featuring different ethnicities and races! Also, where does that childhood innocence that you mention go? Overall Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Alex, I was watching some old episodes of the Rugrats, and I remember thinking that it was the best show ever growing up, but it seems so different watching it now because of how much things in society have changed. Even if you look at the differences between the Rugrats series and the Rugrats movies, there is a huge difference and it tries to target a broader audience too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex -

    Again, think a little more critically. This was a good start. How could you have expanded. What is it about these new cartoons that erase the innocence of childhood. You have good ideas, just make sure you get them down on the blog.

    ReplyDelete