Tuesday, May 31, 2011

#thetwitterrevolution

I will be the first to admit that I could not understand Twitter for the life of me up until about a year ago. Why would anyone want to read the thoughts and quips of relative strangers? What do people even have to say at all hours of the day? Don't we already have Facebook for our friends? Eventually I gave in and made a Twitter account for my self, to see what all of the fuss was about and to see what my favorite famous people are up to. I quickly found out what a useful tool Twitter can be not only for entertainment but also for news and info. Musical artists now are announcing song releases and album releases via their Twitter accounts. Sports stars are keeping fans updated on injuries or locker room situations as they happen. Actors are tweeting about upcoming films and projects in the works. News is delivered in an instant. And once I got up to speed on the format and the lingo of the website, it became a fun tool to use. I now keep my feed up on my desktop at all times via a twitter app, something that I never would have thought that I would do one short year ago. I learned of Osama Bin Laden's death via Twitter, not television or radio or newspaper. I stayed up to date on numerous other news stories through my feed. Twitter is truly revolutionizing the way that people are sending and receiving information and consuming the media. Everything is instant and up to date, and the "old" media seems downright slow in comparison. I think that this media revolution is positive; people are more connected now than ever, and news is even more accessible and fast.

2 comments:

  1. You don't hear the latest news now a days. You read the latest tweets which is almost just as good as the news. The sources are always questionable, but for the most the part, Twitter is where it is at. Twitter actually was the first place where people around the world found out Osama Bin Laden was killed, even before the president!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that twitter is kind of brilliant. It allows for us as Americans to be lazy. Twitter sends us our news fast and simply. Sometimes the news is exclusive. Those who love celebrity gossip can get news straight from their favorite celeb just by following them!

    ReplyDelete