Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Voice on NBC


There has been so much hype about this new show that's just started on NBC called "The Voice." The show has four judges: Adam Levine, Christina Aguilera, Cee Lo Green, and Blake Shelton. The judges cannot see the contestants while they audition, therefore picking the contestants based solely on their voice rather than their appearance (clothing, age, race, etc.). When I first heard the concept of this show I was extremely excited, I believed it was a chance for anyone who has a decent voice to fulfill their dreams. Our society has become so focused on appearance and material factors, forgetting that actual entertainment is about talent rather than looks and money. I sat down at 8pm today, ready to watch the show, but a few minutes ago I became enraged with the program.

The photo above is a picture of a girl named Dia. She literally just got done auditioning for the show, and was picked to be on one of the judge's teams. She claimed that she was extremely nervous, blah blah blah. She'd given the impression that she's like every other no-name person is when they're around celebrities and singing on national television. BUT WAIT! She's already been in a band that has toured around the country (in not the world) and has had at least one big time record deal! This is Dia, from the band Meg&Dia. I've seen them in concert before, I have their music on my IPod. I cannot believe that this has happened. I'm not sure if the producers are unaware that she's been in the music industry for a while now, or if the rules in the show allow previously signed artists to compete against people who have never had the opportunity to fulfill their dreams before. If so, I really don't think that's fair at all.

Either way, I'm extremely disappointed. -RM

No comments:

Post a Comment