Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sun-Kissed Obsession


Whether it be in television advertisements, magazine covers, or high fashion websites, Caucasian models constantly present a perfectly tan and sun-kissed look. In many cases, models are required to tan before photo shoots, and even after the photographs are taken, editors airbrush the images to create an even richer tan appearance. According to mass media, tan is the new “beautiful”, while fair skinned models appear sick or depressed (as in my example photo to the left). Even in a Jergens' self-tanning commercial, the narrator comments that by using the self-tanning lotion, “you [the consumer] can put your best skin out there”, implying that without a tan appearance, a woman’s skin cannot truly be at its best. As a result, a large majority of Caucasian females feel that they need to have tan skin in order to appear beautiful, thus leading to the constant increase in tanning booths and self-tanning products across the United States.

Why is tan deemed as beautiful? Why can’t fair skin also be beautiful, as it once was in past centuries? As a French-Irish American, I have fair skin year-long, including the summer months. Growing up in my teen years, I constantly bought self-tanning lotions to “fix” my skin, and it was not until recently that I realized the absurdity of this action. I have finally accepted my fair skin and have grown to love it, although I am disappointed that it is still not widely accepted as beautiful in the mass media.


Jergens Commercial Link: Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67qGSr8TU-8

2 comments:

  1. It's funny isn't it? Because pale skin is actually much healthier and no one is promoting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I am actually writing my persuasive speech for communications class on why people shouldn't go tanning. All of the articles and statistics I have read while preparing for this speech have really scared me. The things people don't know is incredible! Minimal sun damage is obviously best for our skin (plus we won't age as quick!).

    ReplyDelete