Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Facebook Tweens

According to AdAge.com, 7.5 million Facebook users in the U.S. are under age 13.

Am I the only one annoyed at the younger crowd on Facebook? This is the reason I got sic of MySpace to begin with, and then Facebook came along and social media was fun again. I feel bad not accepting younger cousins’ friend requests, but then I find myself incredibly annoyed at the stuff they post. Granted, a lot of stuff posted by my own friends is useless as well, but there’s something about tweens being on my news feed that irks me. I think it goes along with younger children having iphones and laptops, while I wasn’t surrounded by that when I was growing up. I just don’t think that kids 13 and younger have anything to do on Facebook.

I find it surprising that privacy is not a concern for the parents of these kids, as the article states. While I do see the harm in location based applications such as Facebook Places, or even posting on your status when you’re away from your home, I think that it’s really important to monitor what these children are posting. I wouldn’t want Facebook to have some kind of Parental Control, but I think that parents should think twice about letting their kids have a facebook.

1 comment:

  1. I agree for the most part with your thought that these young kids should probably not be allowed on Facebook, but as far as I know there is some kind of age restriction. I think that it is necessary to recognize just how fast technology is growing. Sure we didn't have iphones and laptops growing up, but technology did not allow for that at the time. I think that even if you try to limit the technology of today from the youth of today, there will always be workarounds and kids, especially pre-teens will always try to act like their older peers, which now means being on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete