Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Growing Up Plugged In

I've had to do a lot of final papers/projects for my hospitality minor lately that deal with research of company's background and profile. Through the process of my research, I stopped to think how i was getting my information. I was on each company's Facebook profile. not only do I get a taste of their market demographic, but I get a whole fact sheet of when it was founded, company policies, beliefs, ect. It used to be that in order to get this type of information you had to call the company or look through public records. Now, the way I want information or to view new media is through the click of a button. My Professor stated that this type of 'get it now' mentality was a misfortune to my generation because it meant that our thought progress and prowess to write would be shot or completely lost. That we can't formulate thoughts or structure a narrative paper anymore because our stream of thought is so jumbled and impatient. I can see a truth to what he is saying, but I don't feel that entirely correct. Yes, a majority of my peers do not take the time to outline their thought process for a paper, but we haven't forgotten what we've learned in elementary school about the personal narrative. I feel that with my generation we are special and in between the 'new age' of social media or a quick get it now mentality. We were still brought up to write out our essays, before Facebook, before I pads even. Even so, we are unique because even though we grew up without these things we are still able to easily utilize them all. I think this 'in between' way to grow up gives us an advantage as we are able to use tools like social media and blogging for a professional perspective. We are able to see a blog or Facebook and not only see a platform but a marketing or business tool. We will have the experience ingrained in our heads of how to write structured narratives and essays to go into our schoolwork and online endeavors. I'm not saying that the next generation will not know hows to write an essay well or is in any way inferior from a learning curve standpoint, but I feel that the way they are growing up plugged in, their sense of life, writing, and professionalism may be different.

1 comment:

  1. I know that growing up plugged in has definitely influenced people's sense of communication. I know that I am friends with people on social networks and when I see them in person we don't speak. Also, people get used to typing shorthand like, can u help me get 2 the mtg?. Our grammar is becoming compromised.

    ReplyDelete