Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Freaks and Geeks

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v15273782TjeyfFjf

So, for my long form narrative class I have to watch a television series to write our final paper. I ended up choosing Freaks and Geeks because I've never seen it and I like a lot of the characters on the show. But what really attracts me to it are the cultural boundaries it breaks. You get to follow lives of so called "losers" in high school rather than focusing on the pretentious lives of the popular kids. The show exemplifies real life hardships that unpopular kids endure on a daily basis in high school.

Although I didn't go to high school in the 80's I can identify with the same adversities that they faced. Sure, I wasn't a necessarily a "freak" or a "geek" but the characters of the show go through similar experiences to me that creates a cathartic experience. For example, I remember me and my friends being so nervous the first time changing for gym class. It was a big step because of kids entering puberty and whatnot. Granted, I did not get picked on while changing nor did I have to run around the halls naked, but it was a big personal hurdle I had to jump over.
Another example comes when Lindsay is caught helping Daniel cheating on a test. Everyone automatically assumes she did it (which she did) without asking for her side of the story. I was in a similar scandal in High School when me and about 12 other guys were being obnoxious during a midterm and one girl told on us. Of course, I was the only one who got in trouble, but I felt as if I should lie to get myself out (to this day, last serious, big lie I have ever told). It just sucks when your back is up against a wall and you have no support so your only option is to lie. Like Lindsay, I felt helpless and lies kept turning into lies. It is crazy how high school administration puts on this crazy tough facade on kids in order to show superiority. What is crazier (and my third point) is how parent support you through those times where no one does. My parents, similar to Lindsay's knew I was kind of lying, but they believed me even when no one would not. American culture is so dog eat dog, but typically, parents always are there for you when you need them most.

But after all that, what I concluded most about watching the show thus far is how big of a freak I am. Looking back, I was a lot less cool than I thought I was to the point where I was just strange. Too bad the show was cancelled after one season because it's genius!


1 comment:

  1. I think that Freaks and Geeks is one of the best shows to last only one season. I agree with you that the experiences of the characters are so universal, everyone experiences what Sam and Lindsay and the gang did in high school to some degree, no matter what time period you went to high school. Judd Apatow is so good at creating these characters that viewers empathize with while still being absolutely hilarious.

    ReplyDelete