Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Beer & Organization


Today I was watching T.V. and saw this commercial for BudLight’s new beer bottles that come with unmarked ‘name tags’ on the label. The commercial says you can put your name, a nickname or a phone number. It all helps you keep track of things through out the “blurry” night. As an advertising student, I know how to filter advertisements more than others. I like to think that I am not as easily influenced like most people are. However, when watching the commercial I thought of multiple scenarios of having such a bottle and all the time I could have saved wondering which drink is mine whether its water, beer or a pop. When there are dozens of drinks in the same cup, how should you know which is yours?


Media has a way of tapping into your personal interests and shaping commodities as a need rather than a want. This ad is just another example of how advertising can take the simplest of things and make the target customers think they need to buy into it. Ads like this make me want to continue to pursue a career in advertising. Taking thoughts from an audience and teasing their senses is difficult yet appealing to me all at the same time. We’re ‘manipulated’ daily and we barely know it. Ironically I want to understand how to make that happen.


(I've tried editing this multiple times, and the spacing remains weird. My apologies)

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious as to why this would make you want to pursue a career in advertising. Beer advertising seems to be to be extremely gimmicky. Interesting how often it ties into singles culture. This does not seem to be a healthy relationship...

    ReplyDelete