Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Reality in Reality TV


On VH1, there is a reality show called Basketball Wives that just finished their 2nd season. Basketball Wives is primarily about the ex- wives/ ex- girlfriends, with the exception of a few, of current and former NBA players. Throughout the years, VH1's shows has become majority reality shows. Personally, I love it. I think that I have become an addict. However, reflecting on the amount of reality shows I watch, it bothers me that shows such as this are so popular. The element that I think that makes these reality shows so appealing is the level of drama. For example, on this past season of Basketball Wives, the season ended with a fight between the ex- girlfriend of Antoine Walker, Evelyn Lazado and the ex- wife of Kenny Anderson, Tami Roman. The fight was because Tami found out that Evelyn had slept with Kenny Anderson while him and Tami were married. Evelyn told Tami "You were a non- motherf**king factor B***h!" Evelyn got so much publicity for saying that to Tami, and the first thing I heard from people when talking about the show was what Evelyn said to Tami. People loved Evelyn for this. I admit, at first, I found it to be funny and cute at first also, until I realized how something that childish and manipulative the whole situation was. Instead of people showing sympathy toward Tami, who just found out that a woman that she has grown to like and become close to has slept with her husband while they were married. This began to disturb me because I thought of the situation Tami must have been in, and how she felt when Evelyn said that to her. She had to have been hurt. If this is what TV has come to, I am afraid to see what reality shows and TV in general would be like 15 years from now. In the future, I would not want my daughter to see something like this on TV and think it is OK to behave in that way.

I think that I will continue to be a loyal reality show viewer, but I just hope that the direction of reality shows would steer in a more positive direction. Is this possible?
-AP

No comments:

Post a Comment