Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My lovely lady humps

I recently stumbled across an article about women’s body type and what makes a woman beautiful. The publisher interviewed Emma Roberts as to why she thinks she is beautiful/what makes a woman beautiful. Roberts admitted that she is on the skinny side, and isn’t voluptuous as many other celebrities (aka Kim Kardashian), but is still beautiful despite her lack of female lumps.


This made me start to question: when did voluptous women start to become the symbol of beauty? I remember when every girl wanted to be anorexic skinny like Lindsay Lohan, and having some lady humps was considered beautiful.


I for one am not complaining. I believe I was born with my humps, and I plan on flaunting them as much as I please (I, however, do believe in having a tasteful, classy image to what I wear and try to avoid low-cut tops as much as possible). I am pleased to have read that many younger stars, such as Roberts, are looking at more voluptous women in a more healthy light. But who has the right to call someone else ugly, fat, skinny, or pretty?


No one, except the individual themselves. As the media may portray beautiful women to be a certain way, I honestly believe the personality of one can make up for whether the person is attractive or not. I am hoping that since the media has found more humpy women to be attractive, that personalities will become the deciding factor on whether someone is drop dead gorgeous or not.


Until then, I guess we will continue to live in a somewhat judgmental, shallow world. But I firmly believe that the media shouldn’t portray a women’s beauty slowly on the size of her hips, or whether she is an A or DD bra cup, but rather how the person is making a difference in the world.


And by that definition, Kim Kardashian should not be considered as one of the role model to many young females, but I’ll save that for another day.

-Alex Higgins

1 comment:

  1. Looking back even further, you can easily our notions of beauty are entirely socially constructed. Ignoring western culture, it's easily observed how different cultures all have their own notions of beauty. I think the message there is do not take any discussion of this in the media too seriously. It will change eventually and is really only a means to market clothes, diets, and food. Constantly chasing changing beauty ideals makes for good consumerism.

    ReplyDelete