Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Clip her wings.

Victoria's Secret. Everyone knows what that is. Aside from their overly priced (and cheaply made, in my opinion) lingerie and PINK branded clothing, this store is known for its models. Undeniably some of the most beautiful women in the world, they are used to sell the products. I feel like in today's society that tall and skinny is the only thing that people think of when the word "model" comes up. But that's what's considered "sexy," right?


A few days ago Victoria's Secret model Candice Swanepoel (center) was criticised for being too thin! She was supposedly at risk of losing her job for the weight loss, but that was just hear-say on TMZ. Finally, people are realizing that these women are unrealistically skinny. I mean, c'mon, the few people in the world that do look like super models ARE super models. The majority of the world's population does not look like that, for anyone who had not noticed yet.

The way that the media portrays women baffles me. I get that for most people having a body like that is ideal, but I think it's because that's the way the media has shaped our minds. Just like when I was a kid, the media somehow made me believe that Furbies and Pokemon cards were all the rage, the media has morphed recent generations of both men and women that having a body like this is what others want and what they find attractive. I'm looking forward to the day, if it ever comes, that normal/realistic looking women become featured in advertisements rather than skinny-minis.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it's crazy that models should be "skinny" and "tall". The majority of the world's women do not fit the stereotypical model size, so why do these small percentages of "perfect" bodies model clothes that are supposed to sell to "less than perfect" bodies?

    In addition, I am 5 foot, 6 inches and approximately 117 pounds (but let's be honest, I weigh 120 after a good cake); I'm average height and size yet I would be considered a plus-size model.

    ReplyDelete