Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Facebook on my TV, TV on my Facebook

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzRixR7LCk0&feature=player_embedded

While watching my daily dose of television I encountered a Verizon Fios Commercial that described the intensity of their new televisions, which have supernatural capabilities such as weather programming and telepathic advertisements. Not really…but close enough to reality. The commercial promotes the cable’s ability to check and update Facebook statues, browse the web, check the weather, make dinner reservations, etc. etc. Whatever happened to the days where a television was aimed to provide entertainment, news, and sports? We now live in a world where there seems to be a dying urge to keep advancing; yet the true nature of these advancements is quite ambiguous. I personally do not plan to own a 3D television until they become the standard, and hope that the day where I sit my lazy behind on my couch and struggle to reach a few feet for my laptop, so instead decide to update my Facebook status of “OMG watching television for 8 hours” on my remote control. I sincerely hope that this isn’t the direction of our future, but it almost undeniably is. The Y2K generation, our children, will be caught up in a world of virtual reality far beyond anything we could have imagined. Combining these is not a conscious effort of efficiency, it is a battle to dominate our already diminishing attention spans to focus it all on one device. These kids won’t be able to separate their television preferences from their Facebook lives, and so forth. Yes this technology is fascinating and in some ways downright cool, but maybe our leading scientists should try and develop something that will help improve our overall lifestyle, not our unnecessary devotion to luxuries. - Craig Shepherd

No comments:

Post a Comment