Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Social Media Trends

I currently hold three internships dealing with the use of social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Blogger. Lately I’ve been noticing the trends of people’s interactions with the content I am using on these sites. I currently work for Mobtown enterprises, which is made up of four local Chicago stores, The Alley, Taboo Tabou, Blue Havana, and Architectural Revolution. It’s interesting to see the trends of what type of content prompts different types of users to engage with your post. I would post a humorous video on Youtube that would relate to each store according to their branding and the same user would engage in conversation.
It was fascinating to see their post everyday like clockwork; they would post on our page for the same type of content.  When reading a newspaper, you subscribe to different content by going straight to the classifieds, stocks, or to the funnies. Online users subscribe to our content on social media websites by liking the store’s page on Facebook, and then commenting accordingly on posts that they care to spend time on. I specifically noticed that a majority of the users tended to interact with media that is mostly funny or entertaining. Business related posts would be avoided completely.  I feel that the users of social media have a tunnel vision for fast, captivating, and entertaining content. There is no room for wordy jargon.  In reaction to these observations, I would post links or photos that were eye catching as well as to the point headlines.
I pose this question; will future generations read newspapers or content longer than a sentence online? I say possibly, depending on how much time schools spend on teaching students the importance of reading a book or even online article. They need to be reminded to pay attention to media competency and the legitimacy of the content involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment