Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Too Many Hats

I've been working on the blogs and social media platforms for WXRT's site, Blue Havana, Taboo Tabou, The Alley, as well as Everyday Communications (an educational software company). I feel as if I've mastered the art of discovering content will spark the interest of the product or company's target demographic or social media users. I also feel that I have mastered the ability to respond to postings in light of the company's 'voice'. With all the things I think I know, there's also the instances that catch up with me as far as content posted by other users, suggestions, or trends by the company's followers.

 For this class blog we are asked to discuss media in terms of view cultural topics. Lately, I’ve been noticing that “the way people interact with media” has been hitting close to home. Each social media job I partake in (as stated above I balance three different types of companies from all ends of the spectrum) I see, deal, and respond to so many different types of people and content. For instance, I have a Facebook user that is not only friends with Everyday Communications but also with The Alley. Last time I checked, education and tattoos don’t normally go hand in hand, so when I see him tweeting or posting on Facebook about educational seminars he recommends and then two seconds later posting about the new tat he wants or Psychobilly band, I can’t help but laugh and recognize the change in voice. 

Basically, my point is, society tells us to act in different ways and wear many hats. It is not acceptable to sound ‘yourself’ or casual in a work setting or discuss certain topics in a work setting.  When you’re off the clock, your true colors apparently shine and all ends of the spectrum are reached. It’s great being the admin to different company Facebook accounts as you see these ‘true colors’ or ‘real talk’ being mixed in with a professional outlook. You get to see the many faces of a person, their Facebook mindset and their professional Facebook mindset, in a matter of seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment