Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Isn't music supposed to be about...the music?


It seems as though every new music video has become more about advertising other products rather than the actual music. In Britney Spears' recent music for "Hold It Against Me" (which was previously posted on this blog) she advertises her perfume, make up, SONY, and a website called Plenty of Fish. And those are just the ones that I was able to pick up on. It's not just Ms. Spears though that has started doing this. For almost every video I want to watch on YouTube, I have to sit through a 30 second VEVO advertisement first. It's annoying! All I want to do is listen to the music and watch the video, but in today's society, it seems as though music is no longer just about the music. Advertisers are using popular artists to promote their products.

This tactic seems silly, but maybe it's just me knowing that they're trying to sell me things. I'm just ready for music to be about the music again. But I doubt that that will ever happen due to the consumer based nature of our society.

2 comments:

  1. I find it kind of absurd the way they implemented this into music. It began as a sort of behind the scenes thing, and was way more implicit yet definitely effective. Now it has even been implemented into the lyrics of the song, seen most commonly in rap. Its amusing that rap music was once frowned upon but is now a powerful money maker for these corporations. Do they think its not obvious that everything is geared towards selling something, or hope that we are truly consumed enough to buy into these things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the amount of advertising is increasing more and more as the years go on. Advertising, as annoying as it is for viewers, is an easy way for artists to gain financial supporters and sponsors of the music video.

    ReplyDelete