Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Make me a racist

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhMJU2qPff6l8c464U

Make Me a Racist/Music/Race and Gender

When I first watched this video, I laughed because it was talking about Black women who were weaves. But as I watched it several more times afterwards, that laughter disappeared. Although he is right in saying that the content is not "racist," it doesn't take away from the fact that it is racially offensive. Black women wear weaves for several reasons, the most dominate reason is because of what society, media, community, etc., has shaped them to believe is beautiful. During the Black power movement, Black women were in great numbers embracing the natural texture of their hair and reframing of getting perm or putting chemicals in their hair that would make it straight and therefore, "More White." The time prior to that era of embracing their natural hair is back. This video brings to our attention how Black women are again turning to perms and now even weaves to give the illusion of long straight hair. This is very present at the celebrity level and therefore at the level of common folk as well. I stop getting perms a year ago because of this reason, in addition to the fact that my hair has never been "nappy" anyways and I didn't need chemicals to straighten it. Furthermore, he neglects to acknowledge that White women too, use weave, or what they call hair extensions. This video gives the illusion that only Black women wear weaves, which isn't true, although they do dominate. Also, He uses other stereotypes such as "All Black people love red koolaid," which is true to an extent, but I think that extent is mostly at the lower class level, and most black people are living in that class. I love red koolaid, if you look in my refrigerator, you are sure to find a pitcher of red koolaid (and if there isn’t, then I’m about to make some), so to me it isn't a stereotype, it’s a truth. Plus, he says that his parents only know one black person and that's "Randy Jackson " because of American Idol, which also calls attention to racial demographics of a lot of different areas across the US. This lack of "Black people" could have contributed to his choice in making this video. I’m not sure if the point in him making the video was simply to be funny, or if he really is this ignorant, but I think women are made fun of a lot, especially Black women, and we do not need one more thing being used against us.

1 comment:

  1. JF - Wow. That was a video. You make some interesting points. I wonder how they change (or if they do) if you consider the fact that this is a parody of a "serious" hip hop song from an African American artist. Does it matter that this guy is (a) riffing on that and (b) writing a parody? Ben also just made a good point that the internet is an excellent place for things like this. Good? Bad? Just is?

    ReplyDelete