Saturday, April 2, 2011

My Fair Callie - The Grey's Anatomy Musical


Okay, I'm not totally sure how I feel about the Grey's Anatomy musical yet, but it does make me think about all of the other musical episodes of TV shows that have been popping up over the last several years (ex. Xena, Buffy, 7th Heaven, Scrubs, How I Met Your Mother, etc.).  I have a few thoughts.  First, I think it totally makes sense that this type of episode would occur at this time.  Some interesting things are happening within and between various industries. Broadway, movies, and TV are more in cahoots than ever before.  You see the same actors (Sara Ramirez, David Hyde Pierce, almost the entire movie cast of Rent) going from one to the other.  Many of the "new" Broadway shows are based on old films (e.g. 9 to 5, Hairspray, Mary Poppins, Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert, etc.).  Also, both television and film are becoming more self aware.  So much content on TV and the big screen today has a bit of a "wink" attached to it. It would only make sense that this would parlay into a little big of genre blending.  Second, I think they did a fine job of making this into something folks would recognize as "a musical."  (Okay, I would like to pretend the "Sunshine" number didn't exist). That said, there was strong integration of the numbers as they attempted to make them flow effortlessly into the story (as in something like The Sound of Music).  They tapped into the character's psyche's or more specifically Callie's (as is the case in the traditional musical).  That said, I did worry about all of the other patients.  Who was taking care of them??

No comments:

Post a Comment