Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Florence Shore?

So the Jersey Shore cast isn’t jet setting off to their homeland justttt yet. Apparently the producers of the show were a bit worried about where the cast of the Jersey Shore would be partying it up this summer in Italy. Unbeknownst to them, many clubs and bars in the cast’s signature motherland were not allowing for cameras to be set up and rolling all the time, while The Situation, Ronnie, Vinny, Pauly D, Sami, Snooki, Dena, and Jenni all get drunk and party. The city of Florence was first on the list to be called “home” for these guidos/guidettes all summer long. Once Matteo Renzi, mayor of Florence got wind of this, he put the kibosh on it immediately. Could you blame him? I guess he doesn’t want his city being known as a “party-town” after the cast rolls thru and also doesn’t want to give Florence a bad wrap. He listed three sole rules that MTV must abide by when filming in his town. First, they cannot be filmed drinking in public, cannot have the audience believe that Florence is a party city, and they must encourage the culture and food (which is delicious, I might add) of the city. So here’s where I’m confused, how will there even be a show? Isn’t that the whole point? To watch these “Italians” run around getting drunk and being stupid in public? Hmm, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see!

2 comments:

  1. As an Italian American myself, I love talking about this issue. I think it's really interesting that a lot of IA's really internalize the representation that we have in the media, playing up like they are Sopranos or Goodfellas and not really considering the negative implications of this. The Jersey Shore gang is known for being a bit of a train wreck. Honestly I can't wait until they go away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, they provide me with great entertainment (sad, i know), but i definitely wouldn't call them "real" italians. I am Italian and have been to Italy where i stayed for two weeks. I made many Italian friends through the program I was in at the time, many of whom I still keep in contact with today. I recently brought this subject up to them and they laughed. They see these "italians" as a bunch of drunk americans, once again finding entertainment in the shore's stupidity. I find it absolutely hilarious that some people think because they have a "poof" and wear tight v-neck t shirts they are a guido, and therefore Italian. I will definitely always note that these people aren't what the Italian culture is really about, and keep them around simply as entertainment.

    ReplyDelete